About Me

My photo
Here I am in Peace Corps Guatemala... I would like to share my experiences with those back home and elsewhere with this online journal. Please post comments and question if you have any. Any mail can be sent to: Grace Hansen PCV Cuerpo de Paz Apartado Postal 33 Chimaltenango, Chimaltenango, 4001 Guatemala, Centro América Or I can be reached by telephone: 011.502.5384.4287 or skype: grace.anna ¡Besos!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

¡Feliz Cumpleaños!



Waiting to "cut the cake."

A few weeks ago Rosa mentioned to me that she would like to get a cake to celebrate my birthday before I leave. She asked that we decide on a night, and that I invite the other girls over for a little fiesta and to share the cake. Well, we decided to do it tonight, Wednesday, July 14. While it is well before my actual birthday, Rosa insisted on the celebration and so it went....
The other girls came over in the late afternoon and we spent a few hours just enjoying one another's company, knowing full well that in just a few days we will no longer be able to. The plan was to cut the cake at 7pm and we were all expecting a small, casual affair with just us and Rosa... We took our seats at the table and patted out grumbling tummies, knowing that cutting the cake at 7pm actually meant cutting the cake about 8pm here in Guatemala... Around 7:30 some guests began to arrive. "Guests?" I thought... I thought it was just a small "parting of the cake," as Rosa called it. Little by little, neighbors, friends, and host families of the other girls began to arrive until the patio was full of people bearing gifts! I couldn't believe it! Let me just say that when it comes to birthday parties, Guatemalans don't joke around.

Once everyone arrived, we had a little feast of veggie-filled chuchos. Let me explain what this is... First they take the milled corn which is also used to make tortillas, they make a fill it with a delicious mix of finely chopped veggies and herbs, then wrap it in the corn husk and cook it. ¡Que rico! This was a very special dish because normally these are filled with pork or chicken parts but Rosa, knowing my preference for vegetables, made an exception. She also prepared a homemade cake with strawberries and figs.

I couldn't have been more surprised at how big of an ordeal this all was! I really felt like I didn't deserve all this from Rosa and from her friends and neighbors that I hardly know!

Everyone was so kind and generous and the gifts I received will be very handy in my new home.

One very special gift came from Rosa... I open a box to reveal a beautiful corte and guipil, the traditional Mayan blouse and skirt worn here. The corte had been altered and designed into an actual skirt which is much more practical for me. Normally a corte consists of 10 yards of fabric that is wrapped around the woman's waist in a very specific way and then fastened with a very long (very tight) beaded belt, called a faja.

I feel honored to have received such a special gift and I will wear it with pride during the swearing-in ceremony on Friday.
Not very fashionable... Mayan meets Gringa.

Rosa has been getting very emotional these past few days, and while I assure her that I won't be far away, she insists that it won't be the same as having me here day to day. The other night I gave her a little gift to say "thank you" for all her generosity and hospitality. It was a little handbag that is made out the traditional corte and guipil fabrics. When she opened it she began to cry. -Not because of the bag but because she says, "these past few months have filled her heart with happiness." I feel quite overwhelmed when she becomes so emotional because I honestly didn't do anything. But Rosa is still suffering the loss of her daughter. She says, "God gave me a daughter for 2 years and I was heart-broken when I lost her. Now God gives me other daughters, but they can only stay for 3 months and I am grateful for that." I try to assure her that we are still here, and that we will stay in touch but family is different here in Guatemala. All my family at home in the US, while we miss each other, we can get by with letters and phone calls and still know how much we care for one another. But here, families rely on the physical closeness. They depend one another for daily care and companionship. It's really a beautiful thing but also one that I cannot offer to someone like Rosa who longs for a daughter to stay with her and replace the one that she lost.
I will always be grateful for this experience... These 3 months have really shaped my attitude and mindset for the nest 2 years. I feel optimistic and prepared for the challenges to come. I feel a great passion and commitment to Guatemala and the many wonderful people who live her.
I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment