About Me

My photo
Here I am in Peace Corps Guatemala... I would like to share my experiences with those back home and elsewhere with this online journal. Please post comments and question if you have any. Any mail can be sent to: Grace Hansen PCV Cuerpo de Paz Apartado Postal 33 Chimaltenango, Chimaltenango, 4001 Guatemala, Centro América Or I can be reached by telephone: 011.502.5384.4287 or skype: grace.anna ¡Besos!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Books!

We need books.
I recently had interviews with each one of my students. I asked them what they like to do in their free time. Most of them replied, "I like to read..."
I asked, "What do you like to read?"
They said, "Well I like legends, or stories, but we don't really have books... So mostly I read old news papers or something."
There are no books. There is no library. The schools that have textbooks are decades out of date. Somehow, miraculously these kid still want to read and they like to read!
So I would like to begin with a reading group... I would like to be able to provide the kids with books (or at least a copy of the book) so that they may take notes and highlite as they wish. We'll meet once a week and talk about what we've read.
This photo comes from another rural school elsewhere in Guatemala where books were donated...

I also want to start a reading initiative in which middle school kids will go to the elementary school and read to the younger children once a week. I think this would be really beneficial because most of these children don't have parents at home that are able to read to them.
For this, I need books. I have posted a Wish List to amazon.com with a few books I would really like to get for these kids. I also warmly welcome any oher book donations (preferrably in Spanish). Amazon offers reat prices on used books. I have included my mailing address on the wish list but if you prefer to have the books shipped to you, then to me, I have no preference.
Some book sugestions:
Any of the classics
Books for Middle Age kids
Dr. Seus
Any kids books
Just search amazon for any book you have in mind and specify, "in spanish"
Thay have nearly everything!
This one too...

Kids here love to read... I hope to feed their desire for reading and love of books and use this to eventually help start a community library. This will take a lot of planning and work but maybe it can get done in the next 2 years.

Anyway, thank you for your help and support!

Again, my new mailing address is:

Grace Hansen PCV
Apartado 33
Chimaltenango,
Chimaltenango, Guatemala
4001 Centro América

The link to the wish list:
http://amzn.com/w/342YD7I3HPHXQ

No comments:

Post a Comment